- 25 (Registered)
The purpose of this entrepreneurship program is to assist participants to develop first-hand knowledge of the business creation process with a focus on small business and social enterprise projects. The goal for this course is for participants to learn how to solve challenging real-world problems using creativity and teamwork, innovate, employ strong leadership skills, develop financial literacy skills, conduct customer discovery and research, and complete a Lean Model Business Canvas in preparation for writing a detailed business plan. Participants will also learn how to create a website for their selected business and how to register their business in Canada.
Program is delivered online over 10 weeks with a minimum of one weekly or bi-weekly online class (including learning and mentor sessions) delivered via Zoom each week. See Appendix A for Sample Schedule.
The Program will begin with a kick-off session where students will be onboarded to the program, goals and expectations will be set. Facebook groups, Slack or WhatsApp to be used for group communication based on group preferences.
The program includes a Business Pitch event at the end of the schedule (Week 10) where the participants have a chance to showcase their business idea to a panel of judges.
Students are immersed in real-world business planning, with an emphasis on small business and social enterprises, and will emerge at the end of 10 weeks with a validated business idea, web presence and business plan. Students/teams identify and design their own solution to solve a need, problem or pain point.
- be below the age of 30 at program start
- have successfully completed the ideation course or
- be able to describe a viable business idea to the program as part of the application.
The program will:
- Identify needs, problems or pain points
- Strategize and develop a solution to a real world problem (students in this course will focus on products)
- Apply real-world business concepts to develop a business idea using the Lean Model Canvas.
- Create a Financial Forecast for their business
- Create a product prototype
- Develop an understanding of costing and pricing, revenue generation and apply the same to a business model.
- Learn to conduct customer interviews and apply the same using UX Design
- Develop a story and create a pitch for their business model.
- Learn branding skills to develop a business brand
- Develop employment and life skills including critical thinking, time management, collaboration, and communication while becoming more self-confident.
- Engage in online or small group activities (where possible).
- Give students/participants the opportunity to engage with mentors
Logistical Requirements for Participants:
- Computers with internet access
- Stationary including paper, pens, markers, post-its
- Access to video conferencing software for remote training (Note students will need to be able to access video conferencing via webcam and microphone to fully participate in sessions.)
- Access to email and Google Drive
Week 1: What's Your Why
Week 2: Customer Development
Week 3: Legal, Revenue and Finance
Week 4: Lean Model Canvas Review
Week 5: Marketing your Business
Week 6: Branding and Design
Week 7: Developing Your Pitch
Week 8: Pitch Review and Finetuning your Idea